This position is a Food Service Worker, WG-4 Located at the VA Maryland Health Care System in Perry Point Maryland and Baltimore Maryland. The incumbent performs assigned duties in a manner that promotes quality health care, outstanding customer service, maintenance of an environment committed to serving the Veterans to assure total satisfaction with the inpatient experience.
Learn more about this agency
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assists patient in placing meal orders, portions, and serves prepared food with in area to which assigned.
- Checks meals for accuracy during tray line, and works in diet communication office.
- Accurately determines foods to serve on commonly used modified diet and texture diet.
- Prepares individual and bulk nourishments, special feedings, and tube feedings for patients.
- Takes nourishment inventories; labels and distributes to inpatient and outpatient area.
- Properly handles fresh fruits and vegetables, washing, storing, and rotating stock as required.
- Working knowledge of modified and texture modified diet food. Uses portion control utensils to meet establish standards of portion control and accuracy.
- Follow written recipes and verbal instructions to weigh, measure, and assemble ingredients according to standardized recipes.
- Maintains food temperature during meal service and at point of patient delivery.
- Correctly labels, dates and stores food and leftovers.
- Utilizes Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) methodology to prevent foodborne illness and food contamination and safeguard food through the work flow.
- Records data as required.
- Accurately and efficiently sets up assigned work station to promote efficient meal service.
- Notifies supervisor when adequate amount of needed items are not issued.
- Transports and delivers all meals and nourishments to patient care areas and retrieve soiled trays.
- Reads and interprets a regular or modified menu, individual tray ticket or patient selections.
- Maintains an uncluttered, clean and sanitary work area by following “clean as you go”.
- Follows instructions and Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for the safe and proper use of cleaning and sanitizing agents.
- Receives meal request from Veterans by telephone or face-to-face.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Varies to include weekends and holidays.
Position Description Title/PD#: Food Service Worker/PD512-18052-A
Physical Requirements: Incumbent stands and moves about on tile floors for most of tour. Frequent stoops, reaches, lifts, or carries food and kitchen equipment. Hand dexterity is necessary in the utilization of machines to prepare food. May need to lift up to 40 pounds unassisted or more with assistance.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
EXPERIENCE: A specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and quality of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence which demonstrates you possess the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by detailed descriptions of such on your resume. Applicants will be rated in accordance with the OPM Federal Wage System Qualification Standards .
SCREEN-OUT ELEMENT: Your qualifications will first be evaluated against the prescribed screen out element, which usually appears as question 1 in the on-line questionnaire. Those applicants who appear to possess at least the minimal acceptable qualification requirement are considered for further rating; those who do not are rated ineligible and are eliminated. The potential eligibles are then rated against the remainder of the Job Elements:
- Dexterity and safety
- Interpret instructions, specifications (other than blueprint reading).es
- Technical practices.
- Use and maintain tools and equipment.
- Work Practices.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors if applicable, and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website which can be found at https://www.opm.gov/ .
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee’s credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. .Applicants will be accessed in the order in which the applications were received and select any qualified applicant in that order.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (Schedule A)
- Disability Letter (VA)
Please review the above list(s) to ensure you have included all necessary documents required for your application.Not every applicant will require the same documents, therefore it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that their application package includes all necessary documents to determine qualifications and eligibility for appointment, such as a copy of your SF-50, transcript, ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees). You will not be contacted for additional information. Applicants will be deemed ineligible if supporting documentation is not submitted.
Veterans’ Preference: Since the Direct-Hire Recruitment Authority is being used, traditional Veterans’ Preference rules do not apply. Qualified veterans will, however, be given full consideration for this position.
Applications are accepted online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.