Blog Archive

0

Australian Open plans thrown into chaos by Victoria’s refusal to allow incoming players until January 1

Tennis Australia’s plans for the Australian Open have been thrown into chaos by a Victorian government decision to refuse access to any incoming tennis players until Jan 1.

After the verbal warning sent out by Victorian premier Daniel Andrews on Monday, when he said that “this [a full-scale Australian Open] is not a done deal at all”, the state government has decided that it doesn’t want any visiting athletes to start their quarantine until New Year’s Eve.

Given the requirement for anyone entering the country to serve two weeks of quarantine before they can leave their bio-secure hotel, this will make it difficult for a build-up tournament to be held before the scheduled dates of the Australian Open – which are Jan 18-31.

The Telegraph understands that Tennis Australia has until Friday to submit a revised plan. One possible scenario would be to delay the start of the Australian Open

Read More
  • November 18, 2020
0

silver linings for the book industry as Australian sales surge

There’s a glimmer of positivity amid Australia’s beleaguered arts industries: with Covid-19 restrictions limiting our ability to attend live shows or go to cinemas, book sales across the country have surged – with many readers returning to familiar authors, and the escapist comforts of fiction.

According to Nielsen Book Australia, which tracks book sales nationally, the Australian market for books experienced a “steep decline” early in the year, but turned a corner over Easter and has been growing ever since.

Adult fiction has done particularly well, with the firm noting a 13% rise in sales value in the year to mid-October.

Related: ‘It’s political’: Michael Robotham and Peter Carey accuse Morrison government of abandoning authors

“People have more time to read the books they had always wanted to, either from their own bookshelf or a bestseller they had never got around to buying,” says HarperCollins chief executive Jim Demetriou, name-checking

Read More
  • November 7, 2020
0

Five million begin lockdown in Australian city

Melbourne (AFP) – Five million people in Australia’s second-biggest city began a new lockdown Thursday, returning to tough restrictions just weeks after they ended as Melbourne grapples with a resurgence of coronavirus cases.

Residents have been told to stay at home for six weeks after other measures to contain a spike in COVID-19 failed to prevent the virus spreading.

The state of Victoria has been effectively sealed off in an effort to preserve the rest of Australia’s success in curbing the virus.

However, a rush of travellers across the border into neighbouring New South Wales on Wednesday has raised concerns those efforts could be torpedoed.

“A few cases coming over the border from Victoria (can) tip that magic number into outbreaks that are going to be very hard to control,” epidemiologist Mary-Louise McLaws told public broadcaster ABC.

New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said two cases of COVID-19 had been

Read More