This position is in the Office of the Administrator, Office of Children’s Health Protection.
If selected, you must work at the location stated in this announcement.
About the Office of the Administrator.
Learn more about this agency
– As the Deputy Director of the Office of Children’s Health Protection (OCHP), oversee the day-to-day activities of the OCHP staff and coordinate all administrative and management functions of the office and develop new ways to improve efficiency of the office;
– Supervise and provide oversight for the Program Implementation and Coordination Division and it’s Director;
– Ensure effective integration of work with outside organizations, as well as develop, coordinate, and communicate the division’s program, budget, goals, policies, and priorities and ensure they are implemented effectively and efficiently;
– Review procurement requests, purchases, travel authorizations, and other interagency agreements, contracts, and grants for the office;
– Represent OCHP in internal EPA meetings to ensure OCHP programmatic goals are in alignment with the Agency’s overall goals and policies;
You will spend less than 25% of your work time on contracts, grants/cooperative agreements, and/or interagency agreements.
Conditions of Employment
- If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
- You must submit a resume and required documents–see How to Apply section.
- You may be required to travel less than 25% of each month.
This position is designated as High Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation. All conditions of the pre-employment security process must be met before an official letter of employment can be issued with a report for duty date.
You must meet time in grade requirements no later than 30 calendar days after the closing date of this announcement.
If you are selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure form within 30 days of your first day of employment and annually thereafter.
We are looking for at least one year of specialized experience related to this position as described below:
To qualify for the GS-15 level, you need to have at least one year of full-time experience equivalent to the GS-14 level defined as coordinating and overseeing the day-to-day activities of a program or organization; and providing recommendations to senior management to improve program/office efficiency.
Your answers to the online assessment will be used to evaluate your competencies in the following areas: 1) Knowledge of children’s environmental health policies and programs; 2) Skill in leading office management; 3) Skill in personnel management; 4) Skill in program management; 5) Ability to coordinate with internal and external partners; 6) Skill in written communication; 7) Knowledge of contracting officer representative and grant project officer regulations and procedures; 8) Skill in oral communication.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If you have part-time work experience, read this: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures .
You do not need a degree to qualify for this position.
Are you a Displaced Federal Employee? If so, please read the Required Documents section and visit the EPA website for additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures
Position has portable work and selectee may be authorized to telework after meeting eligibility requirements if approved by the supervisor/manager.
This position is not in the bargaining unit.
If you are selected, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid by EPA. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting to work in this position will be your responsibility.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the online assessment. Your responses to the online assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position and an applicable score assigned.
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements. If you are referred for consideration, you may be subject to additional assessments.
NOTE: We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Documents to be submitted online:
NOTE: You should ensure your social security number, date of birth, and any other personal information are redacted.
— Resume clearly stating your experience related to this position as described in the Duties section and Qualifications section. In describing your experience, you need to be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
— Responses to the online assessment questionnaire (you must complete this online – it is not a document you need to upload).
— Displaced Federal employees under CTAP: copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, tenure, and duty station.
— Notification(s) of Personnel Action (SF-50) – You are required to submit SF-50(s) that includes Position Title, Grade or Level, and Duty Station. The SF-50(s) must prove you are eligible to apply for the position and have met time-in grade:
• ELIGIBILITY – You must provide SF-50(s) demonstrating that you meet the criteria in the Clarification from the Agency section at the top right of this announcement. (The most common eligibility requirements are Permanent employees [Block 24/Tenure on SF-50], Competitive Status [Block 24/Tenure and Block 34/Position Occupied on SF-50], In the Office of [Block 22/Name and Location of Position’s Organization on the SF-50] and In the Commuting Area [Block 39/Duty Station on the SF-50].)
• TIME-IN-GRADE – If you are applying for a higher grade, you must provide SF-50(s) demonstrating you have completed a minimum of 52 weeks in a position at the next lower grade. The next lower grade is identified in the Qualifications section of this announcement. (Some examples of SF-50s that can prove you’ve met time-in-grade include promotions, within-grade increases, and SF-50s dated a year apart within the same grade/job.)
— Performance appraisal – You are required to submit your most recent completed annual performance appraisal, dated within the last 18 months (if it is not dated within the last 18 months, or you have not received a performance appraisal, you must upload a signed/dated explanation why). NOTE: You only need to upload the page that shows the overall rating and manager/supervisor’s signature, not the entire document. NOTE DURING COVID-19 WORK FLEXIBILITIES: If your hard copy performance appraisal is not available due to current telework requirements/recommendations, you must check your eOPF. If you are unable to access your eOPF, contact the HR Specialist listed in this announcement for assistance before the announcement closes. If your performance appraisal document is not in your eOPF, you must upload a signed/dated explanation clarifying why the documentation is not available due to telework.
To learn more about submitting documentation, visit Uploading Documents to USAJOBS .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.