This position is that of Ombudsman at Armed Forces Retirement Home. The position is congressionally mandated by the AFRH Act of 1991 promulgated as part of the National Defense Authorization Act for 1991. The primary purpose of the Ombudsman is that of senior advocate for unresolved resident issues. The Ombudsman also provides liaison services between residents, employees and the public. The Ombudsman serves all AFRH residents.
Learn more about this agency
As the Ombudsman, you will work closely with the Administrator and other senior staff to:
- Conduct studies and projects that involve the collection and analysis of a wide variety of data pertaining to complaints and disciplinary hearings/actions in order to make recommendations for changes in processes, procedures and policies in program areas at the AFRH to ensure consistency in services and actions taken.
- Provide oversight of the planning, direction, and timely execution of actions that facilitate resolution of resident issues.
- Provide residents with confidential, informal and impartial assistance and serve as an advocate for fairness for residents seeking answers to unresolved questions, providing a mechanism for problem resolution after considering all sides of an issue in an informed and unbiased fashion.
- Serve as a point of contact for all non-media public inquiries and complaints. Feedback provided to the Ombudsman serves as a source for recommendations to improve Agency policy and facility Standard Operating Procedures and practices based on investigation or analysis of those complaints and inquiries.
Conditions of Employment
- Please refer to “Conditions of Employment.”
- Click “Print Preview” to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Public Trust background investigation will be required.
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Veterans Rank: You must be a member of the Armed Forces, serving on active duty in the in the rank of Sergeant Major, Master Chief Petty Officer, or Chief Master Sergeant; as an E-9 or equivalent; OR A retired member of the Armed Forces in the in the rank of Sergeant Major, Master Chief Petty Officer, or Chief Master Sergeant (E-9). You must attach a copy of your DD-214 to receive proper consideration.
Specialized experience: Applicants must possess specialized experience that equips them with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully in this position. Specialized experience for this position includes:
- Serving as an impartial, neutral and confidential channel with responsibility for informal conflict avoidance and resolutions; and
- Having appropriate leadership and management skills needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position.
– We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
– This is a non-bargaining unit position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
– Subject to a 2-year probationary period (unless already completed).
– Must successfully complete a background investigation.
– Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
– If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
– Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
– Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
– Selectees will be subject to the AFRH Tuberculosis Surveillance Program.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your résumé may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Communication, Technical, Teamwork, and Project Management. Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips .
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: You must submit your DD-214 and other veterans documentation in order to receive consideration for this position. Please see applicant guide for required documentation.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.